SCF Molecule Synonym Name
SCF Molecule Background
Kit ligand (KITLG) is also known as stem cell factor (SCF), mast cell growth factor (MGF), steel factor (SF), which belongs to the SCF family, and is a widely expressed 28 - 40 kDa type I transmembrane glycoprotein. KITLG is the ligand for the receptor-type protein-tyrosine kinase KIT. SCF / MGF plays an essential role in the regulation of cell survival and proliferation, hematopoiesis, stem cell maintenance, gametogenesis, mast cell development, migration and function, and in melanogenesis. KITLG / SCF binding can activate several signaling pathways. KITLG / SF Promotes phosphorylation of PIK3R1, the regulatory subunit of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, and subsequent activation of the kinase AKT1. KITLG / SCF and KIT also transmit signals via GRB2 and activation of RAS, RAF1 and the MAP kinases MAPK1/ERK2 and/or MAPK3/ERK1. KITLG / SCF and KIT promote activation of STAT family members STAT1, STAT3 and STAT5. KITLG / SCF and KIT promote activation of PLCG1, leading to the production of the cellular signaling molecules diacylglycerol and inositol 1, 4, 5 - trisphosphate. KITLG / SCF acts synergistically with other cytokines, probably interleukins.
- Lu H.S., et al., 1992, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 298:150-158.
- Wang Z.-Q., et al., 2009, Am. J. Hum. Genet. 84:672-677.
- Lev S., et al., 1992, J. Biol. Chem. (UNITED STATES) 267 (15): 10866¨C73.
- Anderson DM, et al., 1991, Cell Growth Differ. 2 (8): 373¨C8.
- Broudy VC, 1997, Blood 90 (4): 1345¨C64.
- Blouin R, Bernstein A, 1993, In Freedman MH, Feig SA. Boca Raton: CRC Press.
- Kent D, et al., 2008, Clin. Cancer Res. 14 (7): 1926¨C30.